02 December, 2012

Just a Year Ago

This time last year, I was helping my aunt open her new restaurant, missing the east coast, and buying a car after taking subways and walking for 3 years. I was a PR and Marketing Practitioner at the time, looking for something that would pay more and give me the opportunity to work with someone who was uplifting and less critical. I eventually found that in myself.

I remember being hopeful that my aunt's restaurant would stay afloat for longer than a year (especially through the summer months), so I did everytghing in my power to make sure that people knew about us. I set up a facebook page, had the radio station do a grand opening remote broadcast, created a website, started relationships with local barber shops and salons, and made flyers for local businesses to retain monthly lunch specials. I was driven. Now, a year later, the restaurant is more successful than I could have imagined, and I don't have to do anything. Facebook is constantly sending me admin messages about new likes, customers are placing holiday orders, and my aunt isn't as dependent on me to balance her books or keep track of employee timesheets. All of the work on the front end paid off and for that I so so so grateful.

I even remember what I was listening to last year:



and



I spent my 29th birthday frontstage at a Wale concert at the Hard Rock. I got my life that night. I also bought a new dress that I busted out of that same night from dancing so hard.
I have to look back in order to look forward, to remind myself of all the things I've done and planned for. To make sure that I'm keeping promises, following through for myself and progressing -- becoming a better person each day and each year. I feel better about myself this year than I did last year, and I feel closer to where I will be and where I need to be, to get to where I'm going. I know it sounds complicated but it's simple. If I can find some pics from last year I will post them!

No comments:

Post a Comment