28 July, 2012

Fitting IN...

What does it mean to "fit in"? Does it mean going along with what others think, feel, wear; even if it goes against your innate yearning to go against the grain? Sometimes fitting in means standing out (sometimes). I've always felt counterculture; thinking and feeling differently than everyone else and often standing out in so many ways.

For instance, this natural hair phenomenon that's sweeping through is pretty substantial. From 8 years old to 18 I had a press and curl. There was no perm or as some call it, a relaxer, in my hair which is rare in Black American culture. I got teased and told that I needed to "get that shit done". Then, out of nowhere comes Jill Scott, Solange, and slew of others with "natural" hair and now it's acceptable and even fly. With the exception of a few bloggers who chronicled their experience with natural hair, it was a widely unaccepted notion to some. Now I get compliments on my virgin hair by the some of the same folks who had scathing remarks for me back in the day. Yes; it was called "virgin" hair at one time because it wasn't "fucked" with - I suppose.

Either way, I went through criticism, judgment and resentment for something that 20 years later is a popular trend. All this to say, if you don't always fit in just remember, sometimes it's GREAT to stand out. It means you're exquisite. You just have to wait for everyone else to catch up -- eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment